This year I really got into skincare because my sister is very into it and we swapped recommendations (and even some products) when we went to Edinburgh in the November. So gradually I have found what ingredients my skin loves and what type of products work well for me. And now I’ve adapted that to what I use during the summer!
1. I start with my first cleanse. For this I use my Super Facialist Vitamin C Brightening Cleansing Oil. First off this smells like yellow Wine Gums! But it also hydrates my skin while leaving it super glowy! Like the illumination that I desire for the summer! So healthy!
2. I then second cleanse (albeit just at night do I second cleanse…no judgement please, but in the mornings I struggle with timings because I enjoy taking my time with my coffee and instagram) using my Clinique Take The Day Off Makeup Remover! This removes all the excess makeup/dirt/dead skin without stripping my skin from the hydration that the oil gave me. It removes waterproof mascara so well, which is what I need for the summer! Cos girl, it be sweaty and humid in the UK right now!
3 I then tone my face using my Pixi Glow Tonic! No surprise there. This just works! It removes excess makeup, oils and dirt from my face after a long days work, while replenishing my skins cells. And it really does provide my a gorgeous glow, as stated in the name! This was the first recommendation from my sister, and I still use it to this day!
4. Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5 from The Ordinary. My skin LOVES Hyaluronic Acid! It laps it up like a dog on a hot day! I have such dehydrated skin, that this plumps my skin up and gives it that added moisture it lacks regularly!
5. I then apply a serum I’m currently using the Soap and Glory Make Yourself Youthful Serum. This was another recommendation from my sister and she even let my try some when we went to Edinburgh, but I hadn’t got round to purchasing it! Well now I have and I love it! Hydrating but doesn’t take ages to sink in! Plus it smells like lemon drizzle cake!
6. I then apply SPF, very important for the summer months! I really enjoy the La Roche Posay Anthelios as it is lightweight, sweat proof, doesn’t make your makeup apply funny over the top and it smells like the sun cream I used as a kid, which gives me that fuzzy nostalgia feeling!
7. Then I round it off with a moisturiser! I’m still loving the Glam Glow Waterburst due to its lightweight gel texture, it is perfect for the summer! Plus it smells like bubblegum, which is always a plus in my books! Very hydrating and doesn’t funk your makeup after this!
I tend to get drier lips in the summer than in the winter. I get hay fever so my nose is always running and thus I struggle with my top lip becoming super chapped. Which then in turn chaps my bottom lip. So these two products are essentials. The Jeffree Star Velour Lip Scrub removes all the flakes on my lips and then the Hurraw Lip Balm (root beer is my favourite beverage so imagine my excitement when I found a lip balm that smelt of this delight!) to hydrate! I normally go for one with SPF however this was the one I gravitate towards currently, and I just apply my facial SPF onto my lips in the morning instead!
Masks are a godsend in the summer months! When it is too hot to do anything but lie naked on your bed…you might as well put a mask on. Something my my boyfriend and I like to do together sometimes! When my skin feels clogged and in need of purification, I tend to go for my e.l.f. “Hydrating” Bubble Mask. Now I use my sarcastic notations as this isn’t hydrating and I do need to follow up with a pretty heavy duty moisturiser as it strips my skin of any moisture, but for clarifying my skin it’s fantastic! Just be warned, you’ll feel very tight after using it, it’s quite drying! If I want to have a quick fix for blocked pores I go for my Glam Glow Gravity Mud, which is a favourite of my boyfriends too. This doesn’t leave my skin feeling stripped, just clean! It’s lovely! And smells delightful! If I need hydration I go for this underrated little gem, the Naobay Recovery Mask! It is the most lightweight almost whipped cream but makes my skin feel so nourished afterwards! And if I need that extra hydration while I sleep, a personal favourite right now is the YourGoodSkin Cica Repair Sleep Paste. I put this on my sunburnt face (from cycling, don’t ask!) and my face didn’t peel at all, and I put it down to this, being so hydrating and put my sore skin at ease!
However if I can be bothered for rinsing and all that jazz, I use a Sheet Mask, which is one of the only things that actually gets me to relax! I lie down, and just let the mask work it’s magic and put a bit of YouTube on while I do so. My favourites currently are anything from the Creme Shop, Holika Holika, or Vitamasques! They are fabulous brands that have tailored products for dehydrated skin! Love love love!
Like I mentioned I suffer from hay fever so get very dry eyes or runny eyes, there is literally no in between! So if they are runny I get dry skin as they chap, and if I get dry skin because they tighten up! So either way I get dryness so need hydration specifically for my eye area. And these are my favourites! They are to brighten your eye area while also having ingredients to hydrate the area too! I especially love the Vitamasques one! I will need to repurchase that one….I should have known, Hyaluronic Acid gets me every time! Insert heart eyes here!
And those are my summer skincare essentials and routine! I hope you enjoyed this blog post! What is your current summer skincare essential right now?
Thank you so much for reading! 💛✨